Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Glasgow Style Decorative Stitching and Stickley Pine Cones

The Stickley Pine Cone Curtain Panels are nearly complete; I just finished all the decorative stitching along the applied bands, and thought this might be a good time to show how the stitching is worked.


What makes the stitching "Glasgow Style"? Well, the early 20th century Glasgow School embroiderers often incorporated textile construction details into the design of the piece. In this case, I needed to permanently apply the embroidered bands onto the curtain panels- and suggested to my client we add decorative stitching along the edges of the bands. The stitching encloses the pinecones, and I think, really gives the bands a finished appearance. 


Here is the corner cluster with one side of the band complete.




It's not difficult to do, but in order to look good, careful prep work is required.




I basted along the edges to mark where the bands needed to be folded and pressed, then, measured and pinned the bands to the curtain panels. You can see the line of running pins on the top side of the above photo. Then, using a water soluble marker, I measured and placed a dot every 1/4". This ensures my running stitches are consistently spaced, and are the same length. 








You could certainly do the stitching prior to applying the band, but then- you would need to carefully hand stitch around your decorative stitches. Not as clean a look, and, more time involved. Overall, I think the band will be more secure, look tidier, and well, why sew the band on twice? 


I'm now sewing rings on the panels, and, if I can get the client to take some photos once they're installed, I'll post it here. 

No comments: