Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Portieres- BIG!

Last year I completed a large project but it wasn't until this spring that I actually got to see it in-situ. One of the negatives about many of my custom projects is that I never get to see them in their final resting place, so to speak. Once in a while, someone will email me a photo, which makes me VERY HAPPY. Some very nice people confessed to me that absolutely would not happen, and a number of states separate us- so I hired Durango CO photographer Chris Marona to take a few photos.

They arrived this spring, and, in my usual manner of procrastination, I am just now posting two here. This is one BIG doorway, and it required some equally BIG panels. Each one measures 6 feet wide by 7 feet high. They are two sided, with the appliqued design on both sides. These very nice people wanted a bold design to echo a mural nearby, with apple branches, and they wanted ravens similar to some life size sculptures on their deck. The panels are usually open, not closed, like in the photo. The fabric is Belgian linen, the embroidery floss is, yup, you guessed it, naturally dyed silk. Lots of it.





I thought I could resize the tiff file, but my photo program won't let me. Here's a closeup.


No comments: